Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The International Review

The International 2
So yes, my weeks of waiting on the edge of my seat for a new Tom Tykwer movie with my amazing Clive Owen finally came to an end the other day. A promise of a great espionage thriller was presented to me. But was it really all I had hoped it would be? Was the wait really worth it?

Well, not exactly. Now before I go on, I didn't hate it, in fact it was quite the contrary, but I didn't especially love it either.

Basic premise: Our hero wants justice of the villains, in an unjust world. The story is that of an Interpol Agent, Louie (played by Clive Owen), who has been trying to take down these high figures in the bank world for years now. He finally just might have his way of doing this, when he finds help with the US government. (This is where Naomi Watts comes in). This classic tale of cat and mouse becomes dated with the use of our financial world really using all this money to fund terrorism. This is actually the true brilliance of this tale - a terrifying, real scenario, but somehow gets lost along the way, with unrealistic ventures.

The film opens in the mystifying Berlin, it seems like the perfect opening, we are on a mission of some kind. People are doing deals, and risking their lives. It really is a great start to get us all in the film. But then...something happens. I cannot quite pinpoint when it loses it for me, but it could quite possibly have been when we are sent to New York. Something just didn't quite seem to fit. And I also kind of kept getting the feeling that it was trying to be the next Bourne movie, or maybe that it was trying not to be it? It's hard to say.

There were some great action sequences, although they did feel a little out of place compared with the rest of the tone of the film. The battle in the Guggenheim is splendid, as is the chase in the markets of Istanbul. The places really made this film. And actually, in all honesty, I really loved the end of the film, set in Turkey. It had something to it, that touched on greatness...but maybe again, it was just that the locations were so spectacular? Hmm...

The amazing thing this films does have going for it, is on its quest for a more dialogue enriched film, it does allow us as the audience to be given the chance to be our smart selves. It does not dumb itself down for us, which I always admire in films.

Clive Owen is someone I always enjoy watching. He does not disspoint me in this. He's great. He has this air about him, that he really doesn't care what anyone thinks, that find to be extremely captivating. I was also quite amused that by the end of the film he look quite the mess! Unlike most Hollywood films, where the stars must remain perfect, even though they've been under heavy fire for the last 5 days. ;)

Naomi Watts, however, did not entertain me so much. Now I usually love her work, she really is one of my favorite actresses, but she just didn't really bring anything to this role. I feel like really anyone could have played this character.

Armin Mueller-Stahl is brilliant though! He really is a treat to watch. He never once let the absurdity bother him from bringing a truly great performance.

The director, who also gave himself to help with the actually really great film score, Tom Tykwer, offered some great scenes, but it is nowhere near the level of genius that Run Lola Run offered. But, then again, that is quite a film to have to follow ;).

Overall The International is better then most out there. It has a great idea, and some really great locals, and for that I would recommend it. It's not perfect, but then again, what really is nowadays. Clive Owen fans will be entertained, and again, it really is quite better then some other ones out there. I give it a 7/10.

This film is rated R and runs 118 minutes.

Happy viewing everyone! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment