Saturday, February 21, 2009

In The Cut


So, in my vast attempt to watch every single DVD that I own in possession (and believe me, it's quite a lot), I decided to put on In The Cut last night. I really wasn't expecting too much, I bought it for like 2 bucks at Big Lots one rainy afternoon, and the story seemed kind of bland. The DVD box makes it seem like just another erotic thriller...but, I thought I would give it a chance anyway. And, like I said it's in my collection, so I decided to watch it.

I must admit, I was quite surprised at what I got. From the very opening, this seemed like something different. Instead of entertainment values, this was starting to look like a modern art piece. And that's really what it is. It kind of gets under your skin. And you just can't seem to look away. It's intoxicating, really. The poetry on the subway was a nice touch. And the shots of her parents ice skating in Central Park gave an interesting take.

The essential story is about a teacher (Meg Ryan) who watches this couple one night, and then somehow finds herself amongst a serial killer's line of contact. She then becomes involved with the detective working on the case (Mark Ruffalo).

I think the real beauty of this film is that we can never quite figure all these characters out. It's like, I cannot see how she would want to be with this guy, but then again, I cannot see how she wouldn't. Does that make sense?? Well, hopefully you all get the idea. ;)

While it's not the most brilliant film I have ever seen, I will definitely give it props for quite possibly being the best 2 dollar DVD investment I have made to this date. Very intoxicating, and in my mind worth the two hours spent in viewing it. I give it a 8/10.

This film is rated R and runs 119 minutes.

Happy viewing everyone! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment