Sunday, February 22, 2009

Crossing Over Review



Wow. I have truly found my favorite film of 2009. I went to an advanced screening of it last night, and it is still all I can think about. It truly affected me in quite a powerful way.

Yes, this film i am speaking of is Crossing Over. No, it's not about that guy who talks to the dead. ;) Instead, it's a powerful collection of little stories that make up a bigger picture, yes much like that of the amazing Crash. And the theme? Immigration in Los Angeles.

Harrison Ford plays immigration officer Max Brogan. Max is the exact person we all hope to be working on this side of the force. He is compassionate, but still gets the job done. Most of his story is spent trying to right a mistake he may have made early on in this film. He's quest for justice and truth is very admirable. I found myself being quite moved by his character. He brings light in the darkness.

His partner Hamid, played by the always amazing Cliff Curtis, gives a slightly different approach to things, although towards the end, we see his compassionate side as well. His battle with family and doing the right thing is beautifully portrayed.

Ashley Judd as the Immigration Lawyer is also a shed of light amongst all this darkness and sadness.

Her husband, however, is not so much on this quest for righteousness. He, played by Ray Liotta, gives an all new meaning to the word sleazy.

The most tragic of these tales, is most definitely the one involving a Muslim family. It's just brutally wrong what happens to this young 15 year old Islam girl. It will break your heart. Ttruly.

The story of the young Australian actress is not much better. Her desperation soon becomes all too depressing. Her only light comes from a young Jewish man also trying to find his way. He is played with amazing charm by Jim Sturgess. We can't help but love this guy on his trek to stay in this country.

I could press on with the story, but, I think the best way to truly enjoy this amazing film is to go in not knowing a whole lot about it. It will move you, and haunt you. And this is why it is my ultimate top film choice, thus far, in 2009. Wayne Kramer has given us a truly unique gift of cinema. And I absolutely loved every minute of it. I'm hoping to try and catch it again when it opens in limited release this Friday, 27th of February, 2009. I give it a 9/10. This film is rated R.

Happy viewing everyone! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment